Wednesday 23 January 2013

Review: Miranda, series 3, episode 3 - 'The Dinner Party'

So, I'm sorry about not writing up posts about Miranda series three episodes. We've got a few episodes to catch up on haven't we? I'm going to discuss episode three, 'The Dinner Party'. Where Miranda tries her best to be a smart, sophisticated, pashmina wearing girlfriend/woman for Mike. Miranda tries desperately to prove to her friends, Mike and Penny that she can be an adult, not the child-like persona we normally situate Miranda with. In this episode, we get more of Miranda's fruit friends, including some new vegetable friends, Miranda being stuck in a tunnel, Miranda not wearing any pants and an encounter with a man who turns out to be Mike's father...a typical, normal episode of Miranda.


I really enjoyed this episode, I feel at times it was a bit predictable...especially with the Mike's father stuff, I think we sort of seen that happening. But I was intrigued to see people thinking Clive's Mike's father...interesting. Where is Clive? Is he going to be a surprise in the finale? Let's be honest, it hasn't been a different show without him has it? Not at all, its like he was never there to be honest. We also have Chris and Alison back in this episode, they are annoying but you can't stop laughing at them can you? Of course not. 

Let's talk about the soft play centre...I loved this scene, I loved Miranda's reaction to the woman singing everything, it was totally brilliant. See what I did there? I thought it was a very enjoyable little scene, I loved it when Miranda got stuck in the tunnel, going down the slide in the ball pit. I thought it was just hilarious and when I was watching it I just thought, "Typical Miranda!". With a bard back and wearing no pants, Miranda heads to have a massage to try and sort out her back, whilst undressing Miranda realises that she hasn't got any pants on, so, she takes the sheet of the couch and wears it as a garment...well, nappy. There's a really hilarious moment where Miranda farts and blows out the candle, as before, typical Miranda! In the following scene, Miranda tells Stevie that she got a felt pen and decorated her breasts as Jedward...which I found, completely and utterly hilarious. It's also hilarious seeing how Miranda gets to the hand of  'cooking', well, she wasn't really cooking was she? Well, she tried. It ended up on the floor, the ceiling, leaving a devastated Miranda. She then opens a draw, and what does she find? The classic 'penis pasta' from older episodes. Miranda then goes to M&S and she instantly loves the idea of packaged foods, she meets three other women and they're all in the same situation as Miranda, which leads to a song praising M&S for putting food on their table. A great, unique scene I found. 

We then go on to the dinner party, Penny's there, Gary and Rose are there, Miranda, Mike and his father, Valerie are there, oh and Stevie's there too with her new 'boyfriend' Norman. A traffic warden she found on the street. I find it even more funny that in previous series' its always Stevie with the boyfriend, not Miranda. Then, we meet Mike's father, Valerie, which to Miranda's horror is the osteopath that was earlier in the episode, who she farted in front off and blew out a candle...One of my favourite moments in the episode is when Miranda says; "...let me just go and sort out my dessert. I've got syphilis." I just found this scene and line just utterly brilliant and it just made me manic with laughter. I think the audience laughter and reaction also made the line much more 'real' in a way, if that makes any sense at all. I like the use of Norman in the episode, he isn't a full on character, he's just there to fill awkward silences, which I feel is quite refreshing in a way. He's hilarious and it bugged me so much because I knew who he is - Dan from Him & Her. 

Gary, let's talk about Gary for a second shall we? I'm not a massive fan of Gary, I find him annoying at times and he can be a bit irritating, but in this series I think he's turned into a much more character, a much more individual, not just that bloke that works in the restaurant. I know there are people who absolutely love Gary, he has got a massive fan base but I feel that he only worked well with Miranda in the first two series'. In this series, we seen Gary with Rose straight from episode one, which I like because it wasn't all 'Miranda and Gary this, Miranda and Gary that'...I also can't stop laughing at the little things that Gary does, for example in this episode when Miranda says 'We seen, er...mouse' Gary jumps on his chair in a very child-like, camp way. At the start of the episode, the Miranda/Gary 'won't they, will they' story arc started of in a slow pace, I think it started to kick up a gear in this episode, especially when Penny tells Valerie that she's glad that Miranda has moved on from Gary. Leaving some awkward questions from Mike and Rose. When Mike and Miranda kiss, we see Gary's face, the face of 'that should be me' type of face. The type of face that has never stopped loving her.

We then have a very awkward moment with Miranda, Mike and Valerie. Rose, Gary, Stevie and Penny have all gone and checked on Chris and Alison's baby, with the baby monitor still on, over the monitor they discuss not very nice things about Valerie, his wig and Penny says that he has the personality of a self-service checkout. It's a very awkward moment indeed. We then leave the episode with a foam fight, Gary pining for Miranda's affection, Penny drunk, Norman trying to kiss Stevie (again), Rose gone...

I really enjoyed this episode, at times I thought it was a bit cliché and a bit predictable but I thoroughly enjoyed the episode. I loved seeing Miranda trying so hard to be a grown up, it was never going to work was it? We love Miranda being the typical, child-like Miranda. Without the pashmina. So, what happens next with Gary and Miranda? With Mike and Miranda?

These were just some of my favourite lines in the episode.

"I'm not wearing any pants, enjoy your meetballs!"

"Only I can speak for my vagina!"

"I like to let kittens feed from my beard"

"And if in doubt, Delia."

"She's got a red bush."


I really enjoyed this episode, and I hope you did too. Click here!

Thank you for reading.
Don't forget to follow me on Twitter - @coreyterett


No comments:

Post a Comment