Saturday 8 December 2012

Review: The Secret of Crickley Hall - BBC One.

For a few months before it actually aired, I kept hearing about The Secret of Crickley Hall being on BBC One and most people said it will be over the Halloween period, which I think would be even better. As the months progressed, I was eager to watch the show, and when it finally came on, (which I watched on iPlayer), I was blown away.

The Secret of Crickley Hall is based on the novel by James Herbert, which I haven't read... yet, but I'm going to be buying it really soon. I haven't heard much about the book before, I've heard of the name of it but I haven't got any knowledge about the plot, which I know now. But after watching the TV series, I decided to make it my first priority to buy and then to read the book.


The series was on for three episodes, which I think was enough and they could of explained things much further but I was satisfied at the end result.

One of the reasons why I wanted to watch the series was because of the stars in the show, especially Surrane Jones and Tom Ellis. I'm a huge fan of Surrane and Tom, they are both talented actors and so down to earth. Surrane has starred in, Doctor Who, Corantion Street, Scott & Bailey, A Touch of Cloth, etc. Tom has starred in, Miranda, Gates, Eastenders, Doctor Who, The Fades, etc. The series also starred; Douglas Henshall, David Warner, Sarah Smart, Olivia Cooke, Maisie Williams, Bill Miner, Pixie Davies, Elliot Kerley, and many more. The cast was absolutely brilliant but Surrane was just fantastic with the role of Eve, I wouldn't be surprised if she won an award for that role, she was brilliant.

Joe Ahearne adapted the book onto screen and he also directed it, which I think he did a brilliant job, but I might be a bit biased because I haven't read the book... yet!

The series/book is about the Caleigh family and the missing of their son/brother, Cam. One afternoon in the playground Eve falls asleep, which Cam disappears. Then, eleventh months later, Gabe thinks moving is the best option for Eve, to give her some comfort that Cam may still be alive, they move to Crickley Hall which isn't the safest of places. The series shows flashbacks of the 1940s, when Crickley Hall was where orphans was evacuated from London during World War II. In the 1940s, a tragic accident occurred, a flood, leaving drastic consequences.

I don't want to spoil it to much because you must watch it to understand more, because its one of those shows where if you miss one episode, you will just get confused and lost.

For me, the best performance has to be by Douglas Henshall who played Augustus Cribben.

                                                         

His character is just so terrifying and he played the character down to a tee. He was simply superb. The only character that I, myself have been terrified by, and I don't usually jump at a TV show or by a character, but Mr Cribben, is a different story, especially with a cane in his hand.

If you like a bit of history, supernatural, gripping drama, then The Secret of Crickley Hall is for you. There have been mixed reviews, but me and my family absolutely loved it.

Now, it's time for me to get the book and read...

2 comments:

  1. Awesome review, the tv series annoyed me a little as it does not keep to the book at the end and most of the way through there are errors with jobs and ages and the like but nothing major,discounting the end which made me scream. I thought it was very very well shot and brilliantly acted by all (but, in particular Suranne, I love her so much. Tom, Maisie and Pixie were great to though,as was Olivia, although Nancy as a character didn't seem the same as the book's version of her, niether did Maurice.

    That's me nit-picking, it was great and I'd love to see more of Mr Herbert's books adapted by the BBC :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will add that it made me scream out of frustration and anger not terror lol *too though

    ReplyDelete